gruberjl

Task Sequence Media not Listing USB Stick

I have created an OSD task sequence to migrate from WIndows XP to Windows 7. The Task Sequence works great from the software install and from a DVD, but I need to create a USB stick.

When I go to Create Task Sequence Media -> Stand-alone media and select "USB flash drive" as a radio button the drop down does not have my USB drive.

I tried to create a DVD ISO and export it to the USB stick but when I run it I get: "an error occurred while starting the task sequence" 0x80004005

My USB stick is seen fine in Windows.

does anyone know why my USB stick is not seen?

Also:

I have rebooted and uninstalled/re-installed Configuration Manager console

• Like 1

You should be able to use xcopy to copy the extracted ISO contents to USB, have you looked through the smsts.log file to see what may be causing the error?

Have you tried different USB sticks? I have run into systems that did not like a certain USB brand but worked with another brand.

Have you tried to disk part clean that USB drive then try using the USB Flash Drive option again?

At the command prompt type:

1. diskpart

2. list disk ... This will list the drives connected.

3. select disk # ... Type the # assigned to the USB drive. You will be erasing all the info on this disk so make sure you select the correct one.

4. clean

5. create partition primary

6. select partition 1

7. active

8. format fs=ntfs quick .... I like to use NTFS when formatting because FAT32 has a 4GB file size limitation.

9. assign

10. exit