kelemvor

Wingding gibberish font taking over during OSD Task Sequence

This has been plaguing us for weeks now and we've found no solution. We are using SCCM 2012 R2 and are setting up Dell Latitude E6440 laptops. We deploy drivers via the DelL CAB file we downloaded and imported into a driver pack. We then use the Apply Driver Package step in the Task Sequence.

Our images work fine when we first made them but then after a few days to a week something gets corrupted and we end up with gibberish for the font and we can't read anything on the screen. Everything looks fine until the reboot after the Driver step. When it does the Detecting Devices part tehe font will be fat and bold isntead of the normal font. Then when it gets passed that area you end up with the screenshots attached.

If I disable the Driver step in the Task Sequence, everything installs fine. I thought I had it taken care of by just grabbing the drivers that Windows couldn't find on its own and packaging those up as a mini driver pack. It worekd for a few days and then the problem came right back. I haven't been able to find anyone who has seen this before and haven't been able to find anyone that had any ideas as to why this happens.

It seems to be related to the drivers but in the past we've also just recaptured a base machine and used the same driver pack and the problem also went away for a few days before it came back.

This is really throwing us all for a loop and is starting to get really annoying...

If anyone has any ideas at all, please let me know.

post-25371-0-40222400-1404238967_thumb.jpg

post-25371-0-33402300-1404238978_thumb.jpg

We are seeing similar issues when deploying to Dell systems. So far we have seen it randomly on a Dell OptiPlex 990, and twice on Lattitude E5440s. Re-running the task sequence usually solves the issue for us. One thing we've seen is that it seems to apply the base WIM, but nothing beyond that, and anything included in the base WIM beyond just windows fails to function. There don't appear to be any logs other than ccmsetup which is reporting the wrong version of BITS on Windows 7 Professional. I've attached both a screenshot of Windows 7 Enterprise after logging in, and the ccmsetup.log file from the most recent system we had this issue on.

ccmsetup.log

post-25387-0-93901900-1404409916_thumb.jpg

CcmSetup failed with error code 0x80090019

which is not a good sign, are you continuing on error on the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step ? you should not...

the error above means...

The keyset is not defined.

Source: Windows

-----

after a quick search I found this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840784

We only ever had this with the E6440 model. We got around it by simply NOT installing any drivers during the Task Sequence and just letting Windows install whatever it needed to. I then checked to see what items were not able to be installed (showed errors in Device Manager) and we just install the drivers for those specific items. We did this by a Bat file that runs a for loop and installs the drivers via the pnputil.exe command.

for /f %%i in ('dir /b /s \\domain\netlogon\files\drivers\e6440\*.inf') do pnputil.exe -i -a %%i

We ended up with 5 or 6 drivesr that we had to install and just put them in the folder above. This command is run AFTER the rebooting into Windows. Problem hasn't come back with this model.

All our other Dell models we just install drivers during the Install OS section with the normal Apply Driver Package step.

• Like 1

I had this exact problem with Dell machines at my old job when deploying Win 7 Ent x64. Started a Technet forum thread where someone suggested using a x64 boot image. I'd been using x86. This solved all my issues. Have seen other random. OSD related Win 7 bugs which were all remediated by using x64 boot image.