michaelhbt

Updating data on clients with a package

Forgive me if this question is really obvious but am having one of those days.

I have a directory of data that I need to deploy to client machines. Its the content of a wiki and is used for an offline version so it needs a script to run around it.

What I would like to do is have a package download every week to the client machine and another package run the script to import the data.

I cant keep the script with the data source as far as I can tell, its an appliance like device that basically shares it read only on SMB. So I have it peared down to a single robocopy command.

Ive tested the data download and it works OK.

Will it re-download on clients when I refresh the package and keep it up to date?

Should I be using an application instead of a package?

Or should I *shudder* look at using SCUP to deploy the weekly updates?

and one a bit more tricky

Is it possible to pass variables to the robocopy command from the SCCM environment, specifically the package version (eg: robocopy /mir %~dp0 c:\wiki /log+:c:\wiki\packagecopy_version%SCCM Package Version%.log

whether it is application or package,when ever you update either of this (app or package),there will be version change and clients will try to download the entire package into ccmcache with new folder because,client will be notified as New version.

why don't you use run from DP instead of download and run locally ? wouldnt it be possible to script all in one package ?

Thats for that, checks out using a package is the only way to have regular updates driven by sccm.

Have to use a DP as the laptops are usually offsite and want to take advantage of branchcache if I can.

I could script it but would need to stage the data with a script first, its a limitation of using an appliance for the wiki, I cant edit the contents of the share, they are wiped out on reboot.

I didnt want the extra step of scheduling an export and adding the file, but I guess I could have 2 packages or a prestart command or use a task sequence.

Still no luck on using sccm variables inside a package, unless its a task sequence.

Seems to work as is so in the interest of keeping it simple, I think I'll leave it

• Like 1