MikeR

Capturing Windows 10 image

Hello all,

I've seen a number of posts on deploying Windows 10, but have been unable to find anything specific on capturing Windows 10, so I'm hoping someone might have some insight.

We have an environment comprised of a single primary SCCM 2012 R2 SP2 server and are looking to develop a new Win 10 image and do bare metal deployments. The current method of capturing the reference image that we use for Win 7 doesn't appear to work, as it's generating an 4005 error when running the capture task sequence.

Is there anything specific that needs to be done for this process pertaining to Win 10? We have installed ADK v10 and the MDT v 2013 software on the SCCM server.

Thanks.

Capturing Windows 10 in SCCM is broken right now. It fails during the capture step. We use two methods right now. If we need to customize a wim before capturing we use MDT since that is working. Then we import the WIM into SCCM.

We have also just used original source media to create a package although we really haven't played around with that too much yet. We don't customize our WIMs though. We just use a base Windows image with nothing installed and everything is done during the task sequence.

Keep in mind though that you need to upgrade to SP2 first or you won't be able to install drivers.

post-32696-0-94251600-1452791120.png

I just use the build and capture task sequence and I don't have any problems. I have used with Windows 10 and it works like a charm. I even change the original task and add more steps to install additional software but that's it. When I'm deploying a workstation, based on the model it apply's the driver (using categories). If the drivers are more "specific" then I create the package that is also ran during the deployment. But I would recommend more information about the erros (maybe logs) will help us to help you guys! :)

I just use the build and capture task sequence and I don't have any problems. I have used with Windows 10 and it works like a charm. I even change the original task and add more steps to install additional software but that's it. When I'm deploying a workstation, based on the model it apply's the driver (using categories). If the drivers are more "specific" then I create the package that is also ran during the deployment. But I would recommend more information about the erros (maybe logs) will help us to help you guys! :)

What version of SCCM are you running? Ours always fails at the capture step and give a blue screen with a sideways sad face...

What we do at my organization is we use the most recent version of MDT with the Windows 10 ADK to capture the Windows 10 .wim file, and then import that into SCCM. We've patched SCCM to version 2012 R2 with SP1 and updated all of our boot images to WinPe 10.

In fact, that is my personal recommendation for SCCM environments regardless of the OS, capture with MDT and deploy/manage with SCCM.