Ocelaris

Troubleshooting a MSP Package Install

Question

So I'm cursed with this Microsoft Dynamics Patch that I just can't figure out I've tried every which way to push it, copying it locally, running from a share, various switches, and the logging is just terrible. I always end up with a 1603 error. The funny thing is, if I just double click on the SP5.msp file in the cache, or copy it anywhere on the local drive, it runs passively without any problems, just prompts for a reboot once it finishes.

I've tried

msiexec /p SP5.msp /qb+ /l*v c:\SP5.log

msiexec /p SP5.msp /qn /l*v c:\SP5.log

msiexec /p SP5.msp /l*v c:\SP5.log

msiexec /i SP5.msp /l*v c:\SP5.log

Even just tried a script to map a drive, copy it locally, and then run it. Once the file is local, the script works fine, i.e.

net use j: \\server\share

mkdir c:\SP5

copy j:\SP5.msp c:\SP5\

msiexec /p c:\SP5\SP5.msp /l*v c:\SP5.log

works fine... but when I try anything in SCCM, it just fails.

Script for Package:NYC00045, Program: Dynamics SP5 failed with exit code 1603 execmgr 2/5/2011 8:17:14 PM 2404 (0x0964)

I know that it has to run locally, but I think my advertisement and program all say local drives, as per the execmgr.log here:

Command line = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe" /p SP5.msp /qb+ /l*v c:\SP5.log, Working Directory = C:\WINDOWS\system32\CCM\Cache\NYC00045.1.System\ execmgr 2/5/2011 8:16:25 PM 2208 (0x08A0)

I've tried it with the working directory being from the share etc... and no dice. It's running as an admin etc... I have a prerquisite which fires off fine, it's a Visual C++ 2005 patch vcredist.exe which doesn't require a reboot (to my knowledge). And I've rebooted and tried the advertisement again, but just craps out on me...

I've been working on this for 3 days, and am just at a loss, any ideas? Thanks, Bill

PS. Sorry I posted this on another forum as well hoping to find some help. I was hoping to have it done this week, and now it's Saturday and really out of options!

2 answers to this question

Ok, sort of figured something out, it has to have the run mode "with user rights" ... not "administrative rights". But my users don't have local admin privileges... so I'm wondering if I can run it as a non-admin on that PC... getting somewhere finally! tbd...

So here's what I ended up doing. First I have a package called "local administrator rights" it has 2 programs, give and take. It does just that, it's a prerequisite for the first real prereq (Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable). So it logs them off, they log back in, and it fires off the next two programs. I'll just force the "take" local admin rights back once I've gotten everybody done. What a nightmare of an update!