DAdams982

New Exchange 2010 Site

Question

So, writing myself a checklist of what I need for a new internal HA exchange 2010 site. This will not be connected to the internet for mail, but just internal to the organization in a closed area.

I have setup and managed DMS (Defense Messaging Service) which was just Exchange 5.5 with some security extensions to it. But it looks like HA has changed in 2010 since back in the day.

My site is small, but I will have SAN disk ready for hookup by fiber... so now I am confused on what to get from there.

I assume two servers for the CAS and DAGs? Can I run CAS and DAG on one server?

Pretty much I am hoping I can buy two servers and expand my SAN.

1 answer to this question

Hi

You can have 2 or 3 servers and deploy all roles on them (HUB/CAS/MBX) and then use the DAG feature for mailbox availability, then configure to use CASARRAY for the client access role

You will need a hardware load balancer, since you can't use both Windows Failover clustering and Windows NLB on the same servers

Here's a nice link where you can read about the high availability features

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638137.aspx