anyweb

how can I Pre-Provision BitLocker in WinPE for Windows 8 deployments using Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 ?

Are you joined to the domain before you provision?

i have added the registry key for the transfering to AD, but it do not seems that the key is transfering the key to AD.

i have not added anythin else but the TPM (not any keys to the user)

Hello.

sorry for the long delay..

i have it this way in my environment,.

partition disk

hp bios settings

restart computer

pre-provision BitLocker

Apply Operating System

Apply Network Settings

drivers for multiple HP computers

Setup Windows and Config...........

Enable Bitlocker

AD backup (key to AD) - do not know if i need this

Take TPM Ownership - do not know if i need this

software

and so on--

will reckon this will do or maybe the order should be changed?

this is an Windows 7 deplyment.

Hello.

sorry for the long delay..

i have it this way in my environment,.

partition disk

hp bios settings

restart computer

pre-provision BitLocker

Apply Operating System

Apply Network Settings

drivers for multiple HP computers

Setup Windows and Config...........

Enable Bitlocker

--> Join domain (restart)

If you are going to backup your policies is AD

--> Set TPM AD Backup Policy (REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\TPM" /v "ActiveDirectoryBackup" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f)

--> Set TPM Require AD Backup Policy (REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\TPM" /v "RequireActiveDirectoryBackup" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f)

Add the TPM Ownership information

--> (manage-bde -tpm -o <C0mpL3Xpa55word>)

AD backup (key to AD) - do not know if i need this

Take TPM Ownership - do not know if i need this

Once you enable Bitlocker you take ownership over it (assuming you use the built in command)

You can also setup a default TPM PIN if you wish with complex password if you wish, but it requires 3 reg keys

REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\FVE" /v "UseEnhancedPin" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\FVE" /v "UseAdvancedStartup" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\FVE" /v "UseTPMPIN" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f (change "usetpmpin" to a mode that matches your ownership step)

Set the PIN password

manage-bde.exe -protectors -add <driveletter:> -TPMAndPIN C0mpL3xp@55w0rD (tpmandpin will match your PIN mode)

software

Be aware that if you do set a TPM PIN, you will want to suspend Bitlocker before any reboots that might be required by software installations

Command line (manage-bde.exe -protectors c: -disable)

and so on--

will reckon this will do or maybe the order should be changed?

this is an Windows 7 deplyment.

I am getting the same on Dell Latitude 10 (UEFI) hardware i.e. it will not save the recovery password to AD. The TS does not fail and "manage-bde -status c:" shows it as encrypted but with a warning against the disk as there is no recovery key.

The Samsung Slate 7 / ATIV will correctly store the key in AD on the same Windows 8 task sequence.

Is it the pre-provisioning task which is at fault here and are people treating this as a bug in SCCM which should be logged with Microsoft? Are there any useful logs for BitLocker other than event viewer?

The Dell only has a 64Gb SSD so encrypting it the old fashioned way is probably no big deal if I have to go that way.

Thanks. Log attached. It runs the command about 11:38.

Also the output from bde status is:

Volume C: [Windows]
[OS Volume]

Size: 57.29 GB
BitLocker Version: 2.0
Conversion Status: Used Space Only Encrypted
Percentage Encrypted: 100.0%
Encryption Method: AES 128
Protection Status: Protection Off
Lock Status: Unlocked
Identification Field: Unknown
Key Protectors: None Found

I can manually activate Bitlocker after this it prompts to save a recovery key and protection status changes to ON. So the TPM side of things is ok.

smsts.log

I didn't see these two registry keys in your log - is this occurring earlier?

--> Set TPM AD Backup Policy (REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\TPM" /v "ActiveDirectoryBackup" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f)

--> Set TPM Require AD Backup Policy (REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\TPM" /v "RequireActiveDirectoryBackup" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f)

Surely that it what the Enable BitLocker part of the TS does and you shouldn't have to configure that yourself. Are you manually setting those keys as well?

I will check the log for those entries on a working machine which does store the key in AD and I'll try adding those keys before "Enable BittLocker" in the TS.