dverbern

Can a WSUS Update be a Dependency for an Application

Hello All,

The company I work for has recently packaged Autodesk DWG TrueView 2013 for deployment.

We have noticed that this program requires the installation of a Microsoft Update, KB2468871 for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.

We did not include this in the package for reasons of best practice and because we want updates handled by SCCM's WSUS module.

So if we want to deploy this software, we need to find to know: Can I make a WSUS update in SCCM a dependency for installing this application? How does everyone else handle this scenario?

Advice appreciated.

Daniel V

Hello All,

The company I work for has recently packaged Autodesk DWG TrueView 2013 for deployment.

We have noticed that this program requires the installation of a Microsoft Update, KB2468871 for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.

We did not include this in the package for reasons of best practice and because we want updates handled by SCCM's WSUS module.

So if we want to deploy this software, we need to find to know: Can I make a WSUS update in SCCM a dependency for installing this application? How does everyone else handle this scenario?

Advice appreciated.

Daniel V

Why cant you package the app and update together so that when it installs it runs the KB first then Autodesk DWG TrueView 2013 ? That way the KB only gets installed on machines that receive that package.

We have a few packages that we use vbscript to perform actions like that.

Hi Teamfox,

Yes we could package the update in, but the 3rd party packaging company has advised against it so we there is proper separation between management of updates and deployment of packages.

If thats the only way, it might be the way to go. You are quite right of course, by packaging the update in the MSI it would limit the amount of machines it 'hits'.

Cheers,

Daniel V

• Like 1

post-10753-0-90365800-1373979760_thumb.jpg

Just create a new global condition and then use this in requirements tab of your deployment type as custom rule.

This way you can make sure that the application only gets installed if the patch is already installed.

• Like 1

Thank you very much Peter33, I think that's the kind of mechanism I'm looking for!

Excellent stuff.