michaelhbt

moving from mdt 2007 to sccm 2012

Followed and seen plenty of how to set up each component videos but trying to get my head around some more practical howto scenairos.

In my current MDT environment I use the windows 7 install.wim in a task sequence, add drivers and packages and include list of application installers (silent setup commands) that live in the mdt the windows update to get a running system (about 30-40 mins).

In SCCM 2012 I can see how users and devices can receive applications or packages and how a vanilla OS is deployed and could see how you could 'package' a bundle of applications and deploy them but I am a little confused as the most appropriate way to string the methods together.

What I want is something like:

computer with brand X (say HP 6430p) needs a reimage,

PXE boot or run Software Centre (if its already on the network and running)

Choose the task sequence (or auto select like in mdt?)

Windows 7 Image loads on it

Drivers Loaded from a %MAKE% variable

Packages load (IE10 and SCCM Client and maybe some others)

Reboot

Applications load in sequence (currently have 6 builds - 15 to 45 applications depending on build)

Reboots at vairous stages

User then Logs on to a machine and loads their 'own' apps

Is this kind of thing best achevied in a single task sequence or are there better methods.

Any pointers to how to better put sccm together would be great